Jason S. Klein, M.D.Orthopaedic Surgeon Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
Areas of Interest
Shoulder & elbow instability, arthritis, tendon injuries, complex cases, failed previous surgery, and overuse injuries, Upper and lower extremity trauma and fracture care, Sports injuries, Hip and knee arthritis
Dr. Klein was born and raised in Dallas, Texas. He attended Greenhill School and proudly graduated as part of the school’s Forever Club. His interest in Orthopaedic Surgery has many origins. As a young kid, he loved rounding on patients and attending high school football games with his father, his role model and a well respected Orthopaedic Surgeon in Garland, Texas. Next, Dr. Klein overcame his own set of knee and elbow injuries sustained while playing tennis, baseball, and football that ultimately required the excellent, personalized care of the W.B. Carrell Clinic™ physicians and staff. Watching his father counsel patients at the time of their injuries as well as learning from his own experiences with injury ultimately inspired his pursuit of a career in Orthopaedic Surgery.
After graduating from Greenhill School with the Bernard Fulton award, Dr. Klein attended Duke University. He walked on to the tennis team and later graduated magna cum laude with a degree in Biology and minors in Spanish and Chemistry. He attended medical school at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston and went on to match at Jackson Memorial Hospital / University of Miami for Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, successfully couples matching with his wife. During his last year of residency, Dr. Klein was appointed academic chief resident. He was fortunate to complete a world-renowned fellowship in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery at the Rothman Institute / Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, PA. There he learned the most advanced techniques in modern open reconstructive and arthroscopic shoulder and elbow surgery from many of the world’s experts. In addition, he published a number of papers within the field of shoulder and elbow and presented his research at conferences across the country. Following his fellowship training, Dr. Klein returned to Dallas to join the W.B. Carrell Clinic™.
In his spare time, Dr. Klein enjoys spending time with his wife, dancing with his 3 young girls, and playing tennis and golf.
Dr. Jason Klein awarded D Magazine's Best Doctors in Dallas
Listen to Dr. Klein on the podcast Healthcare that CARES
- Undergraduate Degree: Duke University
- Medical Degree: Baylor College of Medicine
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Jackson Memorial Hospital / University of Miami
- Shoulder and Elbow Surgery Fellowship: Rothman Institute / Thomas Jefferson University
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association’s Emerging Leaders Program
- AAOS Resident Assembly Delegate
- The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- AO Trauma
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- North Central Surgical Center
- Baylor University Medical Center
- Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas
- Medical City Dallas
- Baylor Scott and White Frisco
- Baylor Scott and White Sports Surgery Center at the STAR
Rothman Institute / Thomas Jefferson University
Outstanding Fellow Research Award
Jackson Memorial Hospital / University of Miami
Administrative Chief Resident Award
Baylor College of Medicine
Outstanding Medical Student Award - Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2009, 2010
Orthopedic Research Award – IORE – Dr. Phil Noble’s Research lab
- Klein JS, Leggin BL, Namdari S, Williams GR Jr. Rotator cuff tendinopathy and tears: surgery and therapy. In Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity 7th ed. Skirver TM, Osterman AL, Fedorczyk JM, and Amadio PC (eds). Elsevier Mosby, Philadelphia. Chapter Submitted, pending new edition publication.
- Klein JS, Getz CL. Surgical exposure in revision shoulder arthroplasty. In Complex and Revision Shoulder Arthroplasty: An Evidence-Based Approach to Evaluation and Management,1st ed. Tashjian R (ed). Springer Nature, Chapter Submitted, under review.
- Klein JS, Abboud J. Tendon Injuries of the Elbow. In Foundations of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 1st ed. Namdari S, Zmistowski B, Omid R (eds). Slack Inc. Chapter submitted, under review.
- Klein JS, Ramsey ML. Elbow Degenerative Conditions and Nerve Disorders. In OKU 13: Elbow. AAOS Books. Chapter submitted Nov 2018, under review.
- Steplewski A, Fertala J, Tomlinson R, Hoxha K, Han L, Klein JS, Abboud JA, Fertala A. Cholesterol Collagen Interaction Compromise the Integrity of the Fibrillar Architecture of Tendon in a Rabbit Model of hypercholesterolemia. Submitted to Journal Orthopaedic Research, May 2018.
- Klein JS, Mijares MR, Chen D, Orbay JL, Landy DC, Owens PW. Radiographic Evaluation of the Distal Radioulnar Joint: Technique to Detect Sigmoid Notch Intra-Articular Screw Breach in Distal Radius Fractures. Accepted to Techniques in Orthopaedics April 2018.
- Klein J, Ghasem A, Huntley S, Donaldson N, Keisch M, Conway S. Does an Algorithmic Approach to Using Brachytherapy and External Beam Radiation Result in Good Function, Local Control Rates, and Low Morbidity in Patients With Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcoma? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2018;476(3):634-44. PMID: 29443850.
- Agyeman KD, Dodds SD, Klein JS, Baraga M, Dodds S, Hernandez V, Conway S. Innovation in residency education: what can we learn from other disciplines? J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018, July 5;100(13):e90. PMID: 29975267
- Pérez J, Letter M, Klein J, Kaplan L. Simplifying ACL graft bone plug reconstructions: the “U” trough technique. Arthroscopy Techniques. Aug 2017; 6(4):e1271-4. PMID: 29354427.
- Klein J, Zachwieja E, Baitner A. Severe adolescent hallux valgus: description and outcomes of a novel first metatarsal double osteotomy technique. Techniques in Foot & Ankle Surgery. June 2018;17(2):90-102.
- Klein J, Jose J, Baraga M, Subhawong T. Baseline cartilage thickness and meniscus extrusion predict cartilage loss by quantitative MRI: data from the OAI. J Comput Assist Tomogr, Vol 40, Num 6 Nov/Dec 2016. PMID: 27454790.
- Lee SK, Fajardo M, Kardashian G, Klein J, Tsai P, Christoforou D. Repair of flexor digitorum profundus to distal phalanx: A biomechanical evaluation of four techniques. Journal of Hand Surgery America. 2011 Oct;36(10)1604-9. PMID: 21873002
- Eddins-Folensbee FF, Klein JS, Martinez SR, Harris TB. Child and Adolescent Development for Medical Learners: Lines of Development. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2012. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9148
- Eddins-Folensbee F, Klein J, Martinez S, Folensbee R, Harris T. Child and Adolescent Development for Medical Learners: Adolescent Identity Development. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2012. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9141
- Eddins-Folensbee FF, Harris T, Klein J, Martinez SR, Folensbee R. Child and Adolescent Development for Medical Learners: Context of Development. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2012. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publications/9184
- Eddins-Folensbee F, Klein J, Martinez S, Folensbee R, Harris T. Child and Adolescent Development for Medical Learners: Developmental Perspectives of
Emotions and Illness. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2012. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9134
- Eddins-Folensbee F, Martinez S, Klein J, Folensbee R, Harris T. Child and Adolescent Development for Medical Learners: Developmental Framework and Early Development. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2012. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9144.
- Folensbee RW, Martinez SR, Klein JS, Eddins-Folensbee FF. Child and Adolescent Development for Medical Learners: Developmental Neurobiology. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2012. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publications/9124
- Buchanan RM, Klein JS, Murphy MB, De Jong NM, Yazdi IK, Weiner BK, Ferrari M, Tasciotti E. Platelet-Rich Plasma/Alginate Composite Microspheres for the Encapsulation, Cryopreservation, Delivery, and Proliferation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Submitted to Journal of Advanced Functional Materials, July 2011.
- “The Distress and Risk Assessment Method predicts post-operative narcotic use in patients undergoing rotator cuff repair.” Klein JS, Davis DE, Wells ZS, Namdari S, Abboud JA. San Diego Shoulder Institute Fellow’s Day Symposium, June 23, 2018.
- “Cholesterol-Collagen Interaction Compromise the Integrity of the Fibrillar Architecture of Tendon in a Rabbit Model of hypercholesterolemia”. Klein JS, Steplewski A, Fertala J, Tomlinson R, Hoxha K, Han L, Abboud JA, Fertala A. Resident/Fellow 2018 Research Day, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, May 25, 2018.
- “Comparison of High-Dose-Rate Brachytherapy versus External Beam Radiation Therapy in Soft Tissue Sarcoma: Long-term Outcomes”. Klein J, Ghasem A, Huntley S, Donaldson N, Keisch M, Conway S. Podium presentation at the 2016 Southern Orthopaedic Association meeting, Naples, FL, July 27-30, 2016.
- “The Modified Peterson First Metatarsal Double Osteotomy: A Novel Technique and Short-Term Outcomes”. Klein J, Zachwieja E, Baitner. Podium presentation – 2016 annual Florida Orthopaedic Society (FOS) meeting, Orlando, FL, May 19-22.
- “Baseline cartilage thickness and meniscus extrusion predict longitudinal cartilage loss by quantitative MRI: data from the OAI.” Klein J, Jose J, Baraga M, Subhawong T. Podium presentation. Society of Skeletal Radiology Meeting, Scottsdale, AZ, March 2015.
- “Post-Operative Urinary Dysfunction Following Shoulder Surgery: Rates and Risk Factors”. Klein JS, Jamgochian G, Thakar O, Huntley S, Nicholson T, Thomas J, Lazarus M, Namdari S, Ramsey M, Williams, G, Abboud J. AAOS Annual Meeting 2019, Las Vegas, NV, Mar 12-16, 2019.
- “A Pilot Study in a Rabbit Model Exposes the mechanism of Tendon Damage Due to Hypercholesterolemia”. Fertala A, Steplewski A, Fertala J, Tomlinson R, Han, L, Thakar O, Hoxha K, Klein J, Abboud J. Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, Feb 1-5, 2019.
- “Osseous Changes Following Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Combined With Latissimus Dorsi Transfer: A Proposed Classification System.” Klein JS, Johnston P, Sears B, Hatzidakis A, Lazarus M. ASES 2018 Annual meeting, Chicago, IL, Oct 11-14, 2018.
- “Cholesterol-Collagen Interaction Compromise the Integrity of the Fibrillar Architecture of Tendon in a Rabbit Model of hypercholesterolemia”. Abboud J, Klein JS, Thakar O, Jamgochian G, Steplewski A, Fertala J, TomlinsonR, Hoxha K, Han L, Fertala A. ASES 2018 Annual meeting, Chicago, IL, Oct 11-14, 2018.
- “A Comparison of Brachytherapy versus External-Beam Radiation Therapy for Treatment of Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcoma (ESTS): Long-Term Functional and Oncologic Outcomes.” Klein J, Ghasem A, Huntley S, Donaldson N, Keisch M, Conway S. Poster Presented at the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society (MSTS) Annual meeting, Detroit, MI, October 5-7, 2016 and at The Eastern Orthopaedic Association (EOA) annual meeting, New Orleans, LA, October 19-22, 2016.
- “Novel Extended Tangential View: Evaluating the Articular Surface of the Distal Radioulnar Joint (DRUJ) and Preventing Intra-articular Screw Breach.” Klein JS, Chen D, Orbay JL, Landy DC, Mijares MR, Owens PW. Poster Presentation at the annual American Academy of Hand Surgeons (AAHS), Scottsdale, AZ, January 2016 and at the AAOS Academy Meeting, Orlando, FL, March 1-5, 2016.
- “The Use of Validated Outcomes in the Journal of Hand Surgery-America: Does it Relate to Level of Evidence?” Lee SK, Zingman A, Keener B, Ayach M, Klein J, Paksima N. Poster presented at the 2009 Annual Meeting of the Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Las Vegas, NV, March, 2009.
- “Arthroscopic Implants: History, design, materials evolution.” Klein, J. Rothman Institute / Thomas Jefferson University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Philadelphia, PA, December 6, 2017.
- “Resident Leadership Forum: My experience and how we can improve our program - Residents as teachers, the feedback problem, and optimizing resident education.” Klein, J. Jackson Memorial Hospital / University of Miami Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds, Miami, FL, October 20, 2016.
- “Volar Fixation for Distal Radius Fractures - Utilizing fluoroscopy to Avoid Complications and Poor Outcomes: Novel “Extended Tangential View.” Klein, J. Jackson Memorial Hospital / University of Miami Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds, Miami, FL, January 16, 2016.
- “Arthroscopically-Assisted Lower Trapezius Tendon transfer with Achilles Allograft.” Klein JS, Namdari S. Posted to vumedi.com May 2018.
- “Femoral Allograft-Prosthesis Composite (APC) in Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty”. Klein JS, Bauer T, Horneff JG, Lazarus MD. Orthopaedic Video Theatre AAOS Annual Meeting, Las Vegas NV, Mar 12-16, 2019.
9301 North Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75231
- (214) 720-1982
- Driving directions
3800 Gaylord Parkway
Frisco, Texas 75034
- (214) 720-1982
- Driving directions